7.26.2010

In the market...

On a hot and steamy Sunday last weekend, the fam and I headed to the Ann Arbor Antiques Market. I’ve always enjoyed browsing such places, but I haven't been to this market for a few years. It definitely seemed to have less vendors than I recall, but it was still full of possibilities! There were a great variety of items to sort through, from trinkets and kitsch to real treasures. Beautiful and interesting items caught my eye that day, but I was on a budget and supposed to be just browsing...


I did snag a good deal and added a few more old wooden printing blocks to my alphabet collection. (score!) A popular trend at the show was the idea of using found objects as art pieces. One booth had mounted a vintage car grill and a very large weathervane as objets d'art on its walls. I loved the graphic nature of this look and was particularly impressed with the booth from Worden Select Objects. The booth was outfitted with a clean white backdrop like a gallery, allowing the colors of the antiques to really pop. The huge globe hanging from the ceiling was so striking! The display was really visually interesting and merchandised beautifully. I totally wanted to live in this fabulous booth!


The Antique Market takes place one weekend a month through the fall and I hope to get back again this year. Hopefully, I’ll have more time to peruse the show and discover more unique pieces. Maybe I can check it out next month when it’s not so dang humid!

3 comments:

  1. I <3 printing blocks!
    Maybe if I visit next summer we can go antiquing together :)
    Patramos

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inspiring miss Bellewether! j'adore antiques

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is horrible in the summer, so beastly hot. Much better to go in the spring and fall, it's cooler so you want to browse around. I went back for the first time in a few years and was saddened by how much smaller it was. Hardly any vendors inside and the booths used to be so gorgeously decorated.

    ReplyDelete