7.21.2010

All's Fair!

Here in the Ann Arbor area, we are squarely in the midst of “fair” season. With the Ann Arbor art fairs opening today, I thought it would be good to remind you that these three huge fairs aren’t the only game in town...


Two weeks ago, I attended the Shadow Art Fair in Ypsilanti. Shadow Art is a much more casual, indie type affair (it’s in a bar for god’s sake) with items ranging from weird and wacky to one of a kind. I saw some beautiful photography, cool posters and cute little felt items but nothing that really made me swoon. I downed a beer and walked away with just the cool “Bike Ypsi” shirt I bought for my man, (Yes, I am a very kind and generous soul.)




I have higher hopes for Mitten Made, a local arts & crafts sale held at The Blue House this coming weekend. The crafts I’ve seen on The Blue House website look lovely and much more my style. I’m particularly excited to check out locally crafted jewelry and letterpress stationery. (Two things I can never get enough of!) I’m also very excited to see The Blue House in person. This new crafts collective offers studio space, classes and a consignment shop for local handmade goods. Certainly, a very cool addition to Ann Arbor! For more information about The Blue House and Mitten Made, check out http://www.bluehouseannarbor.com


July 31st and August 1st will be Maker Faire Detroit (technically Dearborn) held at The Henry Ford. The fair seems to be a mix of everything DIY, from unicycles to robots to radios... I’m not sure yet if I’ll be attending this fair, held by Make magazine. Maker Faire sounds like it could be more of a nerd-fest for engineers than anything else so I’ll have to do more research on this one...

I'll be heading downtown to the A2 art fairs tomorrow with my fellow designers, searching for new exciting art to inspire us. Are there any other local art fairs coming up that I should check out?


No comments:

Post a Comment